Windows & Doors
The American Homeowner Foundation estimates it costs approximately 10% of a home’s value to sell and move. Why not reinvest that
10% in remodeling your current home instead? New windows & doors can update your home’s appearance while cutting your heating and cooling bills. Adding new windows, patio doors or
skylights can dramatically change a home inside and out. They can open up a room, let in more natural light and improve ventilation.
Look for these indicators that your old windows or doors need to be replaced:
- Poor performance – opening and closing is a difficult task; air leaks in, out or around the window; condensation or fogging occurs on or between glass panes;
- Safety - windows that don’t open easily or are painted or nailed shut may prevent a safe escape during a fire when seconds count; (see our Close the Door on
Fire section for more information on fire safety)
- Looks – chipping, deterioration, and water stains on the window or the area around the window (inside or out).
- Effort – cleaning is a major hassle; replacement parts are hard to find or even non-existent.
Improve the energy efficiency of your home:
- Keep your home cooler in the summer and warmer in the winter by opting for low-emissivity glass coatings. Low-emissivity helps reduce heat transfer and
ultraviolet rays that can fade carpets, walls and furniture.
- You also can reduce heating and cooling costs by replacing old single-pane windows with today’s energy-efficient double- or triple-pane windows.
- Select windows and doors that have earned the ENERGY STAR® distinction to ensure you are maximizing potential savings to your heating and cooling costs.
- To keep the exterior appearance consistent, consider replacing all the windows on one side at the same time.
- If you’re replacing siding, replace windows before the siding, so that siding can be fit to the new windows, for a neater appearance and better overall
- If your window frames are in excellent condition, the easiest way to replace is to remove old sashes and put a replacement window into the old frame. This
allows the existing trim to remain in place. If frames are worn or damaged, replace the entire window unit.
For the ultimate in convenience, schedule an in-home appointment. We can help provide solutions for your replacement window and door needs.
At Hillman Carpentry we only recommend the very best in replacement windows and doors, such as:
- Pella: Pella Windows feature interlocking wood joints, weather-impervious glue, hardware built into the sash and frame for added strength and durability,
treated wood to help resist rotting, and cladding that stands up to years of use. Whatever you’re looking for, you’ll find the color, size, shape and style you need. Visit
www.pella.com to learn more about Pella windows & doors.
- Weather Shield: Weather Shield replacement kits are the perfect way to turn drafty old windows into energy efficient new ones, without committing to a
complete tear-out remodeling project. It's likely you won’t even disturb surrounding trim, wallpaper or paint. These replacements perform better, look better and maintain your
home's classic appearance. Replacement kits work with any brand existing window frame, and include energy efficient glazings, custom wood interiors and grilles to enhance the beauty
of any room. Visit www.weathershield.com to learn more about Weather Shield's windows & doors.
- Sampson: With one of the broadest product lines in the industry, Simpson offers something for everyone. Choose from hundreds of exterior and interior door
designs from panel doors to French doors to bifolds to decorative entry doors with matching sidelights and transoms. Select a wood or factory-primed door. And pick the style that
best suits your home and personal taste. If you can't find exactly what you want in our standard offerings, Sampson can custom build a one-of-a-kind door. Their Custom
Door Manufacturing Facility has the capability to build what you want and the experience to build a door that will last a lifetime. Visit
www.simpsondoor.com to learn more about Sampson doors.
- Northeast Building Products: Northeast Building Products is a family owned and operated company, so their reputation and honor rest on every product they
sell. They guarantee every custom made window, and each one carries the highest level of craftsmanship and quality with field-tested dependability. Their craftsmanship and attention
to detail and finish make them a great value. Visit Northeast's web site at www.nbpcorporation.com to learn more about their wide selection of windows &